Call for Papers: JIST 2018 Special Session on Semantic Web for Life Sciences
The massive, high-quality life sciences databases present a significant analytical challenge due to their complexity and heterogeneous nature. The lack of well- defined standards of formats makes it tedious for bioinformaticians and other researchers alike to obtain data before they can conduct analysis and visual- isation. Semantic Web technologies can contribute to discovering knowledge such as drug discovery and protein pathway prediction, which would be a huge contribution to the biology community. This special track focuses on applying Semantic Web technologies to life sciences data, such as knowledge representa- tion, data integration, and knowledge discovery, and reasoning, etc.
Topics of interest
Topics of interest include but are not limited to:
- Schema Modelling for Bioinformatics
- Knowledge Representation for Bioinformatics
- Data Integration for Bioinformatics
- Tools and Applications for Bioinformatics
- Ontology Mapping, Merging, and Alignment for Biomedical Informatics
- Visualisation of Biomedical Data
- Knowledge Discovery from Life Science Data
- Semantic Web for Health Care
- Reasoning on Life Science Data
Papers in this session will be reviewed according to the following criteria:
- Significance of the research contributions
- Clarity and quality of presentation
- Abstract submission: 23:59 (Hawaii Time), 3 August, 2018
- Full paper submission: 23:59 (Hawaii Time), 10 August, 2018
- Notification of Acceptance: 14 September, 2018
- Camera-ready Deadline: 28 September, 2018
- Conference: 26-28 November, 2018
The papers submitted to special sessions are handled as regular or short papers, which should not be longer than 16 or 8 pages including references, respectively.
Papers can be submitted electronically via EasyChair. Please select the "Semantic Web for Life Sciences" when you submit your paper(s).
Special Session Chairs
- Hong-Gee Kim
Director, Biomedical Knowledge Engineering Laboratory, Seoul National University (SNU BiKE), Korea.
- Yuan-Fang Li
Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Information Technology, Monash University, Australia.
- Lihua Zhao
Researcher, Service Intelligence Research Team, Artificial Intelligence Re- search Center,National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Tech- nology (AIST), Japan.
- JinHyun Ahn,
Assistant Professor, MIS Dept. Jeju National University, Korea.
- Ryutaro Ichise,
Associate Professor, Principles of Informatics Research Division, National Institute of Informatics, Japan.
- DongHyuk Im,
Assistant Professor, Computer Engineering Dept. Hoseo University, Ko- rea.
- EungHee Kim,
Assistant Professor, Software Engineering Dept. Sunmoon University, Ko- rea.
- Piljong Kim,
Senior Researcher, Biomedical Knowledge Engineering Lab, Seoul Na- tional University, Korea.
- Kertkeidkachorn Natthawut,
Researcher, Artificial Intelligence Research Center,National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST), Japan.
- Khai Nguyen,
Project Researcher, National Institute of Informatics, Japan.
- Dezhao Song,
Senior Research Scientist, Thomson Reuters, USA.
- Honghan Wu,
Research Fellow, Department of Biostatistics and Health Informatics King’s College London London, UK.
- JSAI-SIG on Semantic Web and Ontology
- JIST Steering Committee